Monday, August 28, 2017

Day 2: Operation Eat Up - Ballpark Meatloaf!

Day two: Operation Eat Up

Today I decided to use up some pork sausage and ground beef we had in the deep freezer. What better way than to make some meatloaf. I do love me some average ol meatloaf, but this recipe is for the best meatloaf EVER! Try it and let me know what you think!

Once upon a time, the man decided his wife could use a cookbook, or two, or twelve, for Christmas.

True Story. He found a GREAT deal and kept piling them into his cart. Twenty years later, this lone one from the pile survived the purge.
The man? He gets reminded of that Christmas every time I pull this book out. He then apologizes. I just like to give him a hard time about it. I honestly didn't mind...I did think it was strange, but I didn't mind. Its the thought that counts, right?

Anyhoo....I don't use this cookbook often anymore but there is one recipe we absolutely love. The ballpark meatloaf. I have changed it up over the years but the bones of the recipe is still there  So without further ado...


Ballpark Meatloaf (adapted from 365 Ways to Cook Hamburger and Other Ground Meats)
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish with juices (I always add a lil more)
1 cup bread crumbs (I use gluten free)
1 egg (if they are smaller, I add in two)
1 small onion chopped (any kind works...I happened to only have red this time around)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In medium-large bowl, mix all ingredients (EXCEPT the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons mustard.
3. Form one large (or two small loaves..like I do) and place on those pans that have slots for drainage to a pan below (or just use 2 meatloaf pans)
4. Bake until the center is 155-160 degrees (has anyone actually used a thermometer for meatloaf?) Or just eyeball it like me. About 40 minutes, give or take a few.
5. In a small bowl, mix the remaining mustard and the brown sugar. Brush mixture over the top of each loaf and bake until it is glazed...about 5 minutes.
6. Let stand about 5 minutes before slicing.
7. ENJOY!!

Serves 6 people (on average)

This is what you get when you let your man bake it while you are at work. Slightly burned tops. It still filled my belly though! We froze the second loaf for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment